November 17, 2011

BLOG CHAT 13_LAURA SPRING



We'd like to introduce you to Laura Spring, a textile designer from Glasgow. For the past eight years Laura has been involved in the field of fashion and textiles. She graduated from The Glasgow School of Art in 2002 with a degree in Visual Communication and went on to work for various t.v and theatre companies in their costume departments before embarking on a career as a textile designer in 2007.

This year has been very busy and interesting for Laura, as she was selected to take part in a craft residency at Cove Park in Scotland during the early summer. Here she developed her interest in the relationship between a pattern and it's function as she continued with explorations about the British obsession with the weather. Once back in her studio in Glasgow she completed a weather inspired luggage collection and was invited to take part in 'Spotted by Charlotte Abrahams' at Top Drawer in September. Now Laura's back in her studio and preparing for "Spotted Plus" in January 2012.

We have also got Laura's Weather range of tote bags, make-up bags and wash bags on Our Shop, check them out, here.

1. WHY ARE YOU WHAT YOU ARE?
It's a bit of winding story..... I did a degree in graphics at Glasgow School of Art which was great but I always knew it wasn't quite right for me, especially after I spent more time avoiding the computer than using it! I began to do some screen printing as part of my course and instantly loved it, but  after graduating I took a theatre design course and from there became seduced by the world of costume as I loved sewing and learning about all the techniques etc. After five years working in the costume industry I began to miss making my own work regularly, so I took an evening course in screen printing to refresh my mind and then realised it would make sense to combine my love of printing with fabric so a friend and I set up a design collaboration called Mouse and Bean. We set up a printing studio in Glasgow and worked together for three years printing fabrics by the metre and making cushions but decided to call it a day last year. We still share our lovely studio though and I decided to make a suitcase last Christmas after receiving a lovely old pattern from a friend in Canada and my current practice just grew from there....

2. IF YOU WEREN'T A DESIGNER WHAT WOULD YOU BE?
That's hard because I've always loved working with fabric.....and designing things! I used to work in the wardrobe department at Scottish Opera before I set up my printing studio which was lots of fun and very interesting, so maybe something along those lines....?

3. HOW DO YOU OVERCOME A DESIGNER'S BLOCK?
A cycle round Maxwell Park near my studio. I love being on my bike and the fresh air really helps clear the mind!

4. WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?
A couple of new designs for my luggage collection to be shown at Spotted Plus in January 2012.


5. EARLY BIRD OR NIGHT OWL?
Early bird, every time! Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day!

6. WHAT DO YOU TREAT YOURSELF TO FOR ELEVENSES?
A dark chocolate digestive.


7. MY FAVE COLOUR IS...?
Orange, for now....but it's open to change!

8. MY FAVE SMELL IS....?
Freshly cut grass...mmmm.


9. IF YOUR HOUSE WAS ON FIRE, WHAT 3 THINGS WOULD YOU SAVE?
My photo collection, my dandy trailer tent (although technically it lives at dave's mums, but I would be distraught if it got burnt!) and my great grandma's jewellery.

10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVE BLOG?
Fine Little Day, a total treat! i love this lady's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats