May 11, 2011

BLOG CHAT 07_MATT GOODALL




We would like to introduce you to Matt Goodall, originally a print designer, working at various sales promotion, marketing and experiential agencies over the last 10 years for some of the worlds most recognised brands. The last two years has seen a full transition to digital media and an embracing of the inner nerd. Inspired and equally excited by new technologies and how brands can use them to connect with consumers. Matt has become a social media/mobile evangelist. Check out his work at Arnold and Pearn  or visit his facebook page.

1. WHY ARE YOU WHAT YOU ARE?
Crumbs, first I’d have to know exactly what I am! I’ve always been uncomfortable having to talk about myself. (you’re regretting asking me these questions now ;-)

I do know I’ve always been passionate about creating and making stuff, interested by thoughts as well as images and things. I think the need to show off this creative side is why we make careers out of it. Even as a small child, sat alone in the corner surrounded by pens and scraps of paper as the other children played outside without a care in the world I knew it was crucial I have a career in design or advertising ;-)

2. IF YOU WEREN'T AN ART DIRECTOR WHAT WOULD YOU BE?
I did consider computer programming. This wouldn’t have been a bad choice at all, but despite my mild autism – no offense to programmers! – I’m a bit rebellious so want to break rules and I’m not sure this works for computers. That or an engineer, a bad one probably.

3. HOW DO YOU OVERCOME A DESIGNER'S BLOCK?
I don’t seem to have a problem starting a project but I do get moments of doubt halfway through and this can be a bit crippling. Like everyone I guess you just have to wander off and do something else until you feel happy to go back and keep chipping away at it. There are so many distractions out there it’s not hard to snap out of your funk soon enough.

4. WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?
I’ve got a few projects on the go at the moment. It’s really early days for Arnold and Pearn so it’s still kind of sussing out what it is, and exactly where it belongs. Having said that, everything I’m doing is very exciting.

5. EARLY BIRD OR NIGHT OWL?
Such an early bird it’s ridiculous. I can get more work done between 7 and 9am than I can in the rest of the day.

6. WHAT DO YOU TREAT YOURSELF TO FOR ELEVENSES?
Crisps are my Achilles’ heal. Maze based snakes to be precise, onion rings are so filthy but sooooo good. ** licks orange dust off fingers and cries **

7. MY FAVE COLOUR IS...?
#2d6985

8. MY FAVE SMELL IS....?
The first time you smell freshly cut grass in spring is amazing. But so is frying garlic, Play Doh, sun cream, mulled wine, my cat’s head, hot tarmac and new carpet.

9. IF YOUR HOUSE WAS ON FIRE, WHAT 3 THINGS WOULD YOU SAVE?
As long as everything living was out safe, I’d have to go for my back-up hard drive. I got an amazing brass pineapple from an online shop – that would have to come too, and I’ve got a pair of antique medical prints that I just love.

10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVE BLOG?
I can’t really say I have a favourite because I read different blogs for different things but the ones I check religiously are twitter (if you want to class this as a micro-blog) notcot.org gizmodo.com and ffffound.com. Mashable.com, www.tumblr.com and Flipboard on the iPad is a great aggregator and finally foundmagazine.com is great if you need reminding how beautiful and strange people are.

No comments:

Post a Comment


View My Stats