January 31, 2011

BLOG CHAT 02_BEN SHUAR



Born in Bangkok, Ben Shuar (aka 'Benja') grew up in Australia and has been based in London for the last decade. With a background in graphic design, his screen-prints have a style that is bold and contemporary. He uses minimal colours; black and bright neons which punch their way through and demand your attention. Ben finds inspiration in nature, history and the bright lights of the big city where he feels most alive. You can buy one of Ben's limited edition Rose or Bubble Girl screen prints here.

1. WHY ARE YOU WHAT YOU ARE?
Drawing had always been one of my favourite things growing up, so I figured I'd go with my strengths and did some research into careers with an artistic leaning. After I started a design fundamentals course I was hooked on the versatility and competitiveness within graphic design, rather than doing just pure illustration. That and I'd be rubbish at anything else.

2. IF YOU WEREN'T A GRAPHIC DESIGNER WHAT WOULD YOU BE?
I think I would also love to have been an industrial designer. When I was 8 or 9, I used to do dorky stuff like sit for hours re-designing my camping torch or our family car. I love the idea of designing objects that can be used in different ways. If I took design out of the equation, I think I would like to try being a baker because I'm a whore for cake.

3.  HOW DO YOU OVERCOME A DESIGNER'S BLOCK'?
I tend to listen to music with a bit of pace and push loads of other people's (good) work under my nose, design, photography, illustration, anything visual. It seems to make me feel oddly competitive and my brain starts jogging and having ideas which hopefully lead to others again until I'm happy.

4. WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON AT THE MOMENT?
I'm currently on some brand refresh work, overhauling my website and more screenprinting.

5. EARLY BIRD OR NIGHT OWL?
I love getting up early, the prospect of a new things to happen and do fills me with excitement. I make people sick.

6. WHAT DO YOU TREAT YOURSELF TO FOR ELEVENSES?
Cake is always my first choice, but I will also settle for some 'Nairns' stem ginger oatcakes and/or a banana and/or some nuts & raisins and/or rice crackers. I like elevenses.

7. MY FAVE COLOUR IS...?
Neon orange.

8. MY FAVE SMELL IS....?
Food either cooking or baking.

9. IF YOUR HOUSE WAS ON FIRE, WHAT 3 THINGS WOULD YOU SAVE?
My girlfriend, my computer and my record player.

10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVE BLOG?
I don't know if these are technically blogs but I'm addicted to designspongeonline.com  and  visuelle.co.uk

2 comments:


View My Stats